Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Stopping to Smell the Roses

This is my little monkey, X. He's four and a half now. He's the sweetest little fellow but oh, my, what a wanderer. I'm thrilled he has a sense of curiousity and loves to explore, climb trees, check out every walkway, etc. I don't want to squash his need to explore which I find really difficult. He climbs trees! He wants to walk down alleys to 'check it out', he's not afraid to inspect spider webs in search of big spiders. It drives me crazy.

Our walk to school was starting to take forever. It's a 10 minute walk on my own but with X it was turning into 30+ minutes as he liked to dawdle, skip, check out bugs, etc. It was quickly becoming a chore for me and I hated it.

So instead of continuing to tell him to get a move on, we'd be late, etc. I thought it might be better if we made a game of it. We race from one spot to another and I time us. Or we have a dinosaur hunt along Finchley road. White trucks are T-rexes. There are safey zones, we have invisiblity shields that only charge when we run fast, and there are 'safety buses' (if  double decker bus drives by it blocks the dinosaurs sight). He LOVES it. This is his favorite game.

But then there are days he doesn't feel like playing. Those are the days we take a longer route to stop and smell the roses. There is one particular street that has rows and rows of beautiful roses the entire length. It's a mansion block and has dozens of rosebushes in all colours of the rainbow. They smell glorious.

My little man and I stop to smell the roses. He picks which one he wants - he takes a sniff (after checking for bugs - this is ME we're talking about here) and then he lets me know what it smells like. His favourite scents: apple juice, vanilla, oranges and lemons. He always picks a winner for me to take a sniff of. It takes a little longer, but it's so worth the nice time I have with him. He loves it, I love it, and he's gaining an appreciation of flowers. He knows that we do not pick the roses, we leave them for everyone to enjoy.

It reminds me of when I was pregant with Cate, back in Brooklyn, 7 years ago. I ran most mornings for years and in the spring and summer when the roses bloomed, I'd stop at one particular building in Carroll Gardens that had the most gorgeous roses. I always stopped to take whiff. They never disappointed. When I was heavily pregant with Cate and freshly on maternity leave to wait for her arrival, I would walk every morning with Fen just to get out and about. We'd go by that house and I'd smell the roses. One morning, when I was alone, I walked up and there was an elderly gentleman out cutting roses off one of the farther bushes inside the garden. Disappointed I couldn't take my daily sniff, I walked by. But he called me back and handed over a huge bouquet.

He said to me, "No one enjoys my roses more than you do. I've watched you come by here for years. You've never once picked a rose, just smelled them. I thought you'd like to take a few of them home with you for a change. I have a feeling you won't be able to make it back for a while."

I was so surprised, slightly embarrassed and delighted at the same time. He told me people often pick the roses, but rarely do people just admire them. It was one of the nicest things a stranger has ever done for me. I never saw him again, but I had a feeling he saw me enjoying his roses again for another two years before we moved.

Roses are my favorite flowers for scent. I really like peonies, freesia, and a bunch of other flowers, but nothing beats a rose. I'm glad that X agrees. We only have two and a half weeks of walk to nursery school together. I plan to relish my walks with my little man. This time means so much to me. In September he goes to big-boy school with his sister. I'll miss it.




1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post. Gorgeous pictures. He'll remember those rose walks to school forever as smelly-vision seems to bring on powerful memories. Well done supermom, you have inspired me to slow down today

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!