Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Entrepreneur

My darling little Cate has been bitten by the enterprising bug. She's set her sights on a toy and she wants it. Now. While I admire her drive and the will to work hard to get what she wants, I'm not quite sure she's going about it the right way.

The other day I opened her school bag and there was change in the bottom. I asked her where she got the money from.

"Oh, I sold a bracelet to Jane and a ring to Kathy," so sayeth she.

"What? " I exclaimed.

She's been selling her homemade rubber band bracelets and rings at school to friends and other students!

Not sure if you've been in on the latest trend with school kids - mini rubber band jewellery they make themselves with a loom. Claire is a self-taught expert at it. She's made dozens. I assumed she was handing them out to friends at school, but alas, she's been selling them. For a pound a bracelet and fifty pence a ring. Oy!

We shut her down and I'm in the process of returning the money to the other children. Don't get me wrong, I'm kinda proud of her for taking the initiative, but it's against school rules to sell merchandise on the sly. Like drugs, or bracelets!

She caught the money fever after her first tooth fell out.

"Two pounds," she exclaimed when she looked under her pillow. You could see the light fire up in her eyes. It was an 'uh-oh' moment for me. Never mind that I had lovingly sprinkled fairy dust over the window sill, making a trail to her bed and sprinkled it around her. We placed the two pound coin with a chocolate coin and a note from her fairy congratulating her on losing a tooth in a gauzy drawstring pouch and slipped it under her pillow. That was 'fine' but the money was the real hit.

She decided she wasn't losing teeth fast enough (only three thus far with a front tooth currently working it's way out). I was slightly concerned she'd start knocking her teeth out on purpose, but she doesn't like pain.

After we shut her down she got to thinking. She approached me about doing chores for money and negotiated a weekly allowance of two pounds. That seemed to sate her for a while. But then she was back.

"Mommy, can I play my violin on the street and make money?" she asked.

"Uh, no, you may not."

"Awww. Why not?"

"Cause Mommy doesn't want to go to jail."

At least she's got drive and determination!


1 comment:

  1. Always a difficult one. My little guy wanted to do a lemonade stand last summer. I thought he was talking about the kid-related charity we support, but no. It was so he could buy some video game or other. A big NO ensued.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!