Thursday, June 28, 2012

My New Project

I have my new project for the Autumn! I'm very excited about it. For the past few months I've been wondering what on Earth I'll do with myself once I'm no longer the PR person for my women's club, a class rep for the PTA, full time mum and full time agent - along with my many coffee meetings, early morning gym sessions, general socializing and running a household of four.

Cate will start Year 1 (by the way, the class photo was taken outside the reception classroom with all students, just as I had dreamed. Yay! It's absolutely adorable. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can read about the dreadful class photo I rebelled against here). X starts nursery part time - four days a week, four hours a day. I won't be on every committee with my women's club, I won't have to send out the class letter every week and field questions in the playground - I'll just be a regular member in the club, and a regular mum in the school. I will also have four hours a day to myself. ALL to myself as I don't start work until 2pm every day (New York hours).

What to do? What to do? Well, I found my project!

We walk uphill everyday (in the snow and rain) to drop Cate at school every day (see that walk here). At the top of the second hill (there are three with no down hill - it's just a rolling hill upward) there is a T stop. We like to cross the road and run up the private road that is blocked to traffic. However, there is no zebra crossing anywhere along this road. Not down the road, not up the road. There are literally hundreds of school children who walk this route to their various schools without a proper crossing - not crossing guards, nothing. I want to change that.

This article in the Daily Mail came out the other day and it just fueled my fire. I want a proper zebra crossing with crossing guard during school run time for this particular area. They were denied a crossing as it was too expensive (£14,000) so the parents created their own, which I think is brilliant, however it's illegal.

I called the council to find out what I need to do - which is a lot - petitions, paperwork, research, etc. I've already sussed out the opinion of several parents who also have this daily commute with children and they all agree. It's a dangerous intersection and a crossing would be heaven sent.

Rest easy, fellow parents of Hampstead, West Hampstead, Kilburn, Fortune Green and beyond - I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day!