Monday, June 11, 2012

Jolly Jubilee

Thar she is - the Queen! Of all the times to be in London we did luck out: with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics this year there is a lot of merriment to be had. So often I forget we're even in Britain but when the Royals have something to celebrate - EVERYONE -  the whole nation breaks out the champagne. I love that.

Last year during Will and Kate's wedding we attended a wedding party with friends and then Fen and I dragged the kids down to the mall - the long stretch of road leading up to Buckingham Palace - and St. James Park to see the festivities. You can read about that and see the pics here.

But during the wonderful flotilla parade we decided to skip the crowds along the Thames and stay home - mostly because it was pouring rain - not just drizzling but relentless sheets of rain. We skipped the street parties too for the same reason. Instead we stayed in, had a party of our own - I broke out a fancy table cloth, we had cloth napkins and ate: BBQ ribs, corn on the cob and apple pie. Not British at all, but we had fun. The kids loved it.

It's really nice to see the country come together to celebrate their Queen. It's not part of the daily discussion really, she's just there, doing her thing. People complain about the royals (including me. I don't like the fact that my tax money went to fund part of the royal wedding!) but when it comes right down to it - no one, and I mean NO ONE does pomp and circumstance like the Brits. And they have a Queen! Come on - that's just fantastic.

I was a double major - 18th century British Fiction and History - Britain 1600-1800 with a minor in Creative Writing. So I do fancy the royals a wee bit, always have.

And NO ONE does documentaries like the Brits. There's usually one on a royal or historical figure or a castle/manor house every Saturday on the BBC. They are brilliant. I don't miss them. I've learned more about the Queen's behind their famous husband kings than I ever cared to know. And I'm grateful for it.

I'm very rah-rah the royals today! God save the Queen ('cause heaven knows we don't want Charles at the helm!).

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge royalist by any means either, but I do miss living in a small country that gets swept up in an event, like the Jubilee. I miss that sense of being part of something. Unless of course Diana's funeral lands on your wedding day (as happened to me) then it would have been much nicer to have been living in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful - I'm so glad that you got to see it. I fdekt qite privilged to be alive to witness such an event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite the rain!
    I used to be avidly anti-royal, but now feel much more benign towards them - I think I would have enjoyed being there for the Jubilee. I did manage to watch the concert though, which was fabulously entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!