Sunday, February 19, 2012

So Nice They Named It Twice

I'm heading to New York City in two days. I'm so, so, so excited and absolutely nervous at the same time. Excited because I'm going to my old stomping ground, the place I called home for 20 years, the place I have always loved and miss dearly every day. I'm seeing friends, going to my office (!!!), seeing my colleagues, meeting clients, having lunches, coffees, dinners, drinks - and I'm going solo.

That's where the nervous comes in - I haven't been away from X, ever - well, there were five days when I travelled to my sisters funeral with Cate and left him and Fen to fend for themselves at our house in PA. I've only spent a few nights away from Cate - travelling for business a few nights before X, and then for the few nights I was in hospital have X (as well as having my gall bladder AND then later my appendix out). However, I've never been an entire ocean away from my family and it makes me ill thinking about it.

Fen is taking the week off. I'm more comfortable having our wonderful nanny stay and take care of things but he has insisted. he's being a tad difficult lately and I think it's because I'm leaving for three nights. It's only three nights - not the 57 he took to go to New Zealand for work last year. Still, there's so much for me to prepare for this trip. Here's a running list:

  • Stock fridge and larder
  • Prepare enough meals for four days
  • Do all laundry
  • Make list of numbers, addresses where I can be reached
  • Make list of important phone numbers here
  • Write down the list of things Cate needs for school and what days they must go with her
  • Get all my paperwork together for accountant and lawyer
  • Pack NY driver's license as it needs to be renewed
  • Bring work to read/do on plane (15 hours solo, baby!)
  • Bring something fun to read
  • Mail shoes to eBay winner
  • Mail coffee to friend
  • Take X to doctor in morning as he's had a viral infection for three days and it doesn't seem to quit.
  • Buy more Calpol
  • Pack business cards
  • Make list of things to buy in NY
  • Call all parties to make sure meetings/dinner/drinks still on
  • Google new office address so I know where I'm going when I get there
  • And, oh yeah, pack.

Not too much to do in one day. I've already done most of it anyway.

I'm concerned about the trip for two reasons - 1) I haven't been in New York City on my own in forever. I'll have three nights to myself with no kids, no one to answer to. I may never come back. 2)Will my kids be okay? (I know Fen will be). I hate being without them and I think I may miss them so much it will dampen my trip.

Whatever the case, I think I may be over thinking it. For now - I'm going focus on the positive. NEW YORK CITY BABY! SOLO! WOOO HOOOO!

3 comments:

  1. I am going through the same thing...I want to go to Scotland for a week or so but dread leaving my little boy for that long! Thanks for the inspiration - I need to make a to-do list so I leave them with food and clean clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids will be fine. Just concentrate on enjoying the trip. Have a wonderful time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. list would be half as long if you'd insisted on the nanny! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!