Thursday, December 1, 2011

Good Awfternoon!

As you may know, I'm a huge fan of Downton Abbey - the great historical drama here in the UK. One of my favourite characters is Mr. Carson - the fabulous head butler of Downton Abbey - the ancestral home of the Crawleys. It's so deliciously British - with the drama from the aristocrats upstairs and the working folks downstairs.

Mr Carson is played by a wonderful character actor - Jim Carter. Who happens to live in my neighborhood. I've spied him a few times lately, to my absolute delight. I'm not much for celebrities - I really couldn't care less about them, yet quite a few live around here. However, there are a few folks I just dig. He's one of them.

So, when I see him I can't resist myself and blurt out, "Good afternoon, Mr. Carson." To which he replies with a nod, "Good awfternoon, Madam" in full character. I giggle myself silly everytime.

Fen thinks I'm nutty. I don't care. If I can pretend the great Mr. Carson of Downton Abbey is addressing me on West End Lane for a few seconds, good for me! What does it matter if it's really just Jim Carter dashing into Tesco Express for milk and being recognized by a stranger? I think we both get a kick out of it (If a restraining order shows up at my door I'll be sure to let you know).

7 comments:

  1. You are so lucky! I would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. I would love to hear what he has to say about the routine encounters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for him for replying in character! I love Downton too - new series will be shown on PBS in January, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet he loves his character as much as you do!! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to post a comment on this yesterday but was having one of my many "unable to post comments" days.

    I love Downton Abbey...can't wait for the next series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I would do the same thing! I get all spingly every time I hear the Downton music and who wouldn't love Mr Carson as a butler?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!