Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wish me luck with the BRCA test

This week I went in for a BRCA test. This is the test for the breast cancer gene. I'll find out in a few weeks if I carry the gene or not. This worries me - I'm praying I don't have it. Not so much for me, I just don't want to have passed it along to my daughter.

As many of you know, my sister, Tracy, passed away in July from an aggressive form of breast cancer that  metastasized into brain, lung, bone and a thousand other forms of cancer. Both of my mother's sisters had breast cancer: My Aunt Cate passed away from a different form of aggressive breast cancer, and my other aunt, Sarah, found it early and beat it before it could really take off. My maternal grandmother also had breast cancer and a mastectomy. It apparently runs rampant in my maternal bloodline.

However, my other sister Kay, tested negative for the gene. I'm hoping the same for me, and for my little Cate.

Just keeping my fingers crossed for a negative result. With the year I've had (well, all of my family) I just don't need anymore bad news.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I hope you all do something for it: blog, donate, walk, raise money - anything. I'm not a big rah-rah type of person, but for this - I shout from the mountain tops!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't been on line a lot over the summer and missed this. I am BRCA positive and if you ever need to talk then just give me a shout. I hope with all my heart that you test negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you get a good result. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I proud of you for making the decision. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be keeping everything crossed for you.

    I may even try praying even though I am a non believer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't run in either of my families, but I'm hoping you get a good result and that the gene won't show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It would be such a burden to live with. Chin up!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!