Saturday, July 9, 2011

Washing machine busted and other such growing pains

It's so true that when it rains it pours. Last weej Friday the washer decided to die. I had a load of brand new kiddie clothes whipping round without incident. It ran the whole cycle but then wouldn't open. I looked inside at the trapped wet clothes and called the management company. They said someone would be right over. Yeah, they never came. By 8pm I pried the door open with a screwdriver and freed the soggy laundry. I was not about to have them be ruined by moulding in a closed washer - no way.

Funny, I didn't notice before that there were already marks on the door of someone else attempting to pry it open. And the handle fell off when I tried to force it open - it was obviously glued on at some earlier point. To further create my case for a new washer, were the scratch marks on the floor where it's clear the washer has been pulled out of its spot on multiple occasions. Hmmmm...I'm not exactly Sherlock Holmes, but this seems fairly elementary, my dear.

Monday I called the company again and they sent out their guy to fix it. It's not fixable, sayeth he. My carefully crafted case for a new washer was not needed - it's six years old and worked to death. Victory I thought - it was short lived. An hour later, another worker showed up - a repair man, not a handy man. He worked for hours and left, with the motor, promising to come back Tuesday. He came Tuesday - was there for hours. Proclaimed it fixed and told me to wash away.

I did. It didn't finish the cycle and I once again, pried the door open to free my dish towel - my test garment. I texted him to come Wednesday. he did. Three times. No luck. He said he'd be back with a new washer. He came back with a new motor and fixed it for real this time. I've been up to my eyeballs with laundry ever since. But it's nice to finally chip away at it.

Then I called our caretaker for our house in PA, the hot water heater is broken. I paid $1,200 two years ago for this fancy electric/propane small heater and it's kaput already? I have to wait until later today to call the company that sold it to me and file my complaint. They are fixing it for free or I will tear the joint down! Madness. We'll be there for a while next month and I'll need hot water, thankyouveddymuch.

But on a happier note, the broken fan/light above my kitchen hob (burners) has been replaced. When we moved in I called immediately and stated it was faulty and I couldn't have that. A little silver lining for ya. The kitchen is coming together but it still has a way to go. The oven, as old as it is, is actually fantastic - better than the one at the old place, which was a little more modern and flash. This one bakes evenly and the temperature is consistent. Not exactly a Wolf (my dream oven), but it'll do.

Slowly, but surely, we're settling in. Once all the hiccups are fixed hopefully we can just live peacefully. Now, you all know that's never going to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

5 comments:

  1. Dream away - we all need to dream from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teething problems really...it always happens when you move into a new place...I should know, I've moved enough times. I think the washing machine having problems is just the worst thing really, especially when you have small children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These things should not happen, though. You would hope that management and manufacturers would all have their act together so they wouldn't. It's definitely a fault in the system of which you are the victim. Isn't it frustrating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lord nothing worse than small children and no washer. I just got roped into some ridiculous "protection plan" because it was the only way to get the repair man out within days not weeks. Sigh. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dry Cleaning Machine Suppliers
    Sunrise Garment Machinery undertakes to translate technological developments in design and process innovations to answer the customer expectations. Garments finishing equipments manufacturers, Industrial Washing Machine Supplies India.
    http://www.sunrisegmpl.com/enter.htm

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!