Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Faith in Humanity is Restored

Just about 2 1/2 weeks ago we left our Archos, a portable DVR, in a rental car. It took us three days to figure out it was gone and then we hurriedly called Avis hoping against hope that they had found it.

Alas, the car had been rented to an American family who was driving through the chunnel to Europe for 10 days and then returning it to Heathrow. We waited... by the time we called Heathrow the day of it's return, it had already been rented again for two days. We waited again...

Usually, if we leave something in the car we shake our heads at our carelessness and be done with it. But this Archos had over 100 hours of children's programming from the US which our children adore. It also has a Today Show appearance of Cate, Fen (and me - 8 months pregnant - not a pretty sight!) when we modelled for a Halloween costume segment in 2009. There was Sesame Street, Word World, Curious George, Clifford - the Big Red Dog, and many other US programmes not featured on UK television. This has been a very important item in our house - for travelling, for nights when Cate won't go to sleep and I'm working, for entertainment when it's raining and Cate wants to watch something US, and so on.

So when we realized it was left in our rental car - we were upset. They aren't cheap, but it was the programming we really cried over.

As soon as we realized it was missing we called Avis. I have to say they were incredibly helpful - all of the people we spoke to went to bat for us. But after three rentals we figured it was a write off and were looking into replacements: iPad, another Archos, etc.

But today Avis called. They found it. Fen is on his way to pick it up right now.

I have to say that I am really astonished that after three other rentals no one decided to keep it. Maybe I'm cynical and don't expect the best in people - I'm very happy to be wrong.

I'm a goodie-goodie who would never take something that didn't belong to me. I hand in things people have left in taxis, restaurant tables, etc. I'm glad that the universe has decided to hand back the Archos and restore my faith in humanity. It's not that big a deal really. I'm just delighted that it's back after such a long absence.

Now, I just wonder where it has been and what it has seen. Maybe it recorded some of it's adventures on the Continent. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy you got your player back, there are still good people left in the world, even though most days I doubt it myself.

    I hope you have a wonderful day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go! It's karma. You give other people's things back so they do the same for you. Glad you got it back

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so nice to hear! You'd think it would be a pretty low sort of person to nick something like that, especially with kids' programmes on it. But you never know, do you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for good people! I think this is Karma - good things happening to good people!

    I love Curious George!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you got it back. Whenever I find electronic devices I always do my best to get them back to their owners. That said, my faith in humanity is at a low ebb. I just had the completely opposite experience and wrote about it today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good news story! Here's to happy viewing but no sleepless nights, although I suspect there may be an overdose of watching for the next little while :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!