Monday, April 25, 2011

Royal madness

Sorry for my absence - I've been up to my eyeballs with work, kids off school, illnesses (of course) and flat hunting. But I would be remiss if I didn't say something about the upcoming royal wedding which is about to over take London. I think it's wonderful that Princess Diana's son, the future king of England, found true love with someone who truly loves him and seems quite darling - at least to me. He deserves it, as does Ms. Middleton.

I just wonder if she's thinking, tonight is the last Monday night I go to bed as one of the great unwashed. Next Monday I'll be a princess!! I know that's what I'd be thinking. I wonder if she's picked out her crown yet. It must be quite a surreal feeling to know that the children she will bear will be related to King Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, etc. all those folks you read about in history books are now your family. Quite a huge undertaking if you ask me. But she seems like she's up for the task and William seems like a really normal fellow - with the whole future-king thing as an added bonus.

The city has gone a little bonkers. My sisters in New York and the Bahamas are gearing up to watch the wedding. I've sent them a few mementos which I hope arrive before the wedding such as Kate and Will face masks, flags and guides to the wedding. And I am under strict orders to buy every magazine and newspaper the day after. I've also picked up a few commerative engagement plates and teacups and will buy matching wedding ones as well - for them, not me.

I, on the other hand, really don't care about it. I think it's nice they're in love and getting married. And with the world in it's current state, it's nice to have a happy, uplifting diversion for a day. But I will not be one of the millions lining the streets of London hoping to catch a glimpse of them on their way to Buckingham palace. I won't even be watching on the telly. I will be at their official residence of Windsor for the day having a nice touristy looksee at one of Princess Catherine's new homes - well, the open-to-the-public (read: great unwashed) rooms. We might even go to Legoland.

I'll tape it and show it to Cate later in the day so she can see a real life princess in her carriage with her handsome prince. And then I'll let  her know Kate is a highly educated, working woman who married the prince because she genuinely loved him, not because she needed rescuing like the Disney princesses seem to need. Now, that's a real life fairy story ya!

Well, cheers to the happy couple. I'll bet she's pregnant by the end of the year. Hopefully it will be a girl who will be the future queen of England. Maybe she'll meet my X at school in 18 years and he will be the future husband to the queen. I like the sound of that. Now that's a REAL modern fairy tale.
Future King X

9 comments:

  1. I'm actually missing all the Royal Wedding fever out here. I've never been a big fan of the monarchy, but now that I'm not in the U.K. it seems like such a big part of our culture and tradition (although I still wouldn't line the streets and wave flags!). I'll be watching from bed with cups of tea at 6am. And hoping that poor Kate manages to lead a relatively normal life in the future - she's taken on a hell of a family.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many people I associate with are very interested in the Royal Wedding, so I decided I'm going to put bunting around my desk tomorrow morning.

    And Kate seems like a nice, level-headed young woman; I hope it works out for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I'm back here in the UK for the big event I ought to be caught up in it all...but I won't. I really think the monarchy have had their day. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest in this wedding. The only thing of interest to me is the wedding dress and what the family and guests are wearing...and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of the "great unwashed" I can't imagine what it must be like to be a princess! Perhaps it's overly-romanticized (as so many things are), but surely it's wonderful to ride around in fancy cars, meet foreign diplomats, call Queen Elizabeth II "grandma", and have the best of practically everything!

    www.picturebritain.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world is awaiting for Royal wedding after so many years a marriage is in the royal family i hope both of them will live happily life along together with some one or two children so let us wish they will be the best couple of the world for the year of 2011 after this wedding she will also prove herself a kind hearted woman as like as Princes Diana and also participate in so many social activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you. I thought it'd be interesting to watch Brits have this day, same way I like watching them during the World Cup, but I didn't expect to do much myself. That's before I found I had some interested friends at home. I surprising myself covering it, but friends at home want to know about it. I've got posts planned for them. And my mom is taking coffee mugs home. I think I'm going to get myself a tea towel, just 'cause I was here when the event happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's stay in touch - would love to be invited to that wedding! Never thought of it that way, we all still have a chance to walk down Westminster. We're in london this weekend bizarrely so will be fascinating to see whether Londoners really give a toss. Funny reading all the Brit articles about her though and the sniping calling her one of the "Wisteria Sisters", sweet smelling climbers and saying her parents have a tarmac driveway rather than gravel !!! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and comments. Where I live, everyone is OBSESSED with the wedding! I just hope it all goes well and Kate doesn't faint. I know that I was hyperventilating standing outside the church, waiting to marry my future husband - goodness knows how Kate must be feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so agree with you...must be wonderful to be so close to it all!
    xoxo
    lila

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!