Sunday, April 10, 2011

Books are here to stay - and a whole lot of crap!


This week was a complete wash. I have strep throat AGAIN. If it doesn't go away my tonsils are coming out. Ugh. I don't need this. Cate has it now as well. It's Easter break for the next three weeks so she's home on the sofa watching Toy Story 3 while Fen has X out at Toddler's World for some Daddy/son time.

This is the first break I've had to sit down and write. It's true, writing is like a muscle, if you don't exercise it, it's harder to do, you lose a little something. So bear with me!

London Book Fair starts tomorrow and I'll be front and center cruising the isles, running to my appointments and meeting folks. I love a good book fair - Book Expo in the US, London Book Fair and Frankfurt are definitely my favourites. I'm also meeting some folks for a fun dinner tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that.

One of my favourite people on earth is here. She came by yesterday and we went out for lunch, a little exploring of Hampstead and a stroll through the Heath. She's a bigwig in the digital publishing world so it was really interesting to hear her take on the future of this industry. I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear her say that she doesn't think the physical book will ever go away completely.

I'm a book-aholic. Truly. I love reading a good book, turning the pages, dog earring the paperbacks (always a book mark for the hardcovers) and then once done placing it on my shelf like a trophy. I also love cruising bookstores, seeing the books, reading flap copy, taking in the covers and making my decision. I love libraries for the same reason (and more - I love a good library). I even love checking out the book shelves of someone's home - says a lot about a person, I think.

So to hear that the book is here to stay was nice indeed.

Theresa, my friend, and I took the kids to a little pub near the heath that has a cute little garden area. We were catching up on friends, business, and just having  a great time. Cate was just beginning to feel lousy so she was unusually quiet, which if you read this blog often enough, you'll realize is VERY out of character for her. but she ate, and sat like a little angel. X was his usual boisterous self - just happy to be involved at the table, munching on fruit, cheese and bread. He kept making the weirdest face - he's a little goofball so I didn't think anything of is until the wind shifted and I got a whiff of him. Realizing that he needed a change I reached over to check.

 Oh my heavens it was like he had exploded and stuff was oozing out of the top of his diaper, over his shorts, his jacket, shirt, the high chair. It was disgusting and a unholy mess. Theresa howled laughing. She doesn't have children and I think that's going to remain the case after yesterday! Just as I noticed it the food arrived - we had ordered a few platters of hummous, tabbouli, guacamole, cheese, meats, etc. with bread! It looked great but I had a mess to contend with. To all parents out there - this was a 10 napkin (serviette) and 15 baby wipe job. You know what I mean. He was such a mess I changed him right there on the patio, shielding the other diners, who were very understanding, while I stripped him down, encased all clothes, wipes, napkins in plastic and redressed him in a new, poop-free outfit. He was quite happy about it and continued to eat. I ran to the loo, cleaned up and did what any seasoned parent would do - apologize to the folks, check to make sure the kids were okay and then tucked into lunch and a good laugh with my friend.

Let's hope today goes a tad smoother!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that books are here to stay. I hope your friend is right. And I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exploding babies!! I'm so glad I wasn't choosing to have some guac and refried beans sitting next to you at that moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. yes we've all had the exploding baby story, mine were always when I was near a white carpet (someone elses'). Im glad to hear books are not going away, I love the tactility and warmness of them, have really resisted the electronic book. Plus librarians are the best people ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having done my post grad in librarianship I love libraries and the smell of books, but I'm also a convert to e books (biased as I'm an e book author!) but I think there is still such a love of the real tactile book that they will never be extinct - much less will be published, though, possibly only non fiction eventually. Just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry about your strep throat, Erin. I used to get it all the time, too. I finally had my tonsils out at about age 45 --very difficult at that age, but I haven't been sick since, so it was well worth it. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!