Thursday, March 3, 2011

Finding my groove again

With half term over and Cate back in school this Tuesday, I'm finding it tough to get back into the groove of working and being a mom.  I know I'm not alone in this - in fact I know many women who work and have families. But I work from home, which, again, doesn't make me unique.

For some reason I can't seem to get back into the groove. The past month has been really busy with sick kids to boot. Last week, as you may have read, was busy with a million half term things. Now I have my mornings free to play with X and work when he naps. The nanny arrives in the afternoon and I go to work. I break for dinner, bath, story time and bed, then I'm back to work as I keep New York hours - which happen to be five hours behind London.

It hasn't been a problem before but I can't snap back into it. I still do it, just doesn't feel like it's flowing right now. I juggle a lot of things with my job and I work in just about all my spare time (if there is such a thing). But because I maintain a social life as best I can, most people here don't see it. Which became apparent recently.

The other day a new acquaintance asked me if I was going to a women's club function this week (tonight in fact). I said I had to work (and I do, I have conference calls until 10pm). She looked at me sideways and said, "You work?" We went through the whole, "What do you do" thing. Then she said, "Can't you take the night off? It's not like it's real work. You work from home." Now I don't know this woman well at all and I'm certain she didn't mean to insult me so I just smiled, said, "Well, it sure feels like real work," and got out of the conversation and the store post haste.

Just because I don't dress in a suit, hop on the tube and spend 10 hours a day in an office doesn't mean I don't work. And it doesn't mean what I do isn't real - my clients would beg to differ. I take great pride in what I do and I actually love it. But I was still a little taken aback. I'll get over it.

It was my decision to keep my job, work from home and raise my kids as a part time SAHM. I'm determined to get my groove back soon. And I'll maintain this until both kids are in school. Then I might retire!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, it is a great post! I really like it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe someone said that too! Working from home is so hard to do, probably even harder than working in an office (at least it was for me). You'll have to tell me who said that! Good luck trying to get back in the swing of things. We're back from the States and I'd love to get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well needless to say I can totally relate. What on earth was she thinking? It happens all the time, sadly. Without an office we aren't taken seriously (tho I think w/state of economy and technology, part time, virtual offices are becoming the mainstay, not the exception.) In the meantime, we labor on for legitimacy...

    In sisterhood,
    Delia Lloyd
    www.realdelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realize once you get back on tract there will be another break. As well you know it never seems to end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you want to smack her?! I tell you, I think I would be 10 times more productive if I didn't have to sneak into my kitchen so the children don't hear me from downstairs or try to move around the house to let the housekeeper do her job. I'm half tempted to start putting on a suit and going across the street to Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have exactly the same problems beiing a work at homemother....yesterday, my son's preschool teacher was putting pressure on me to go to a meeting about organising a function there. I explained that I had to work, but it was like she didn't believe me! I'm sure if I'd worked in an office she would have totally accepted it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. very inspiring

    you've got a great blog here - I'm following!

    would love you to enter my amazing giveaway:

    http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-gievaway-yet-ida-restaurant-pasta.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!