Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blasted London Foxes

Think this fox is cute? He isn't. He, or one of his ilk, is a serious pain in the neck right now. When we first moved to London I was surprised to hear there were foxes in London. But they are here - en masse - probably outnumbering humans in Hampstead. I've seen a few and they are not cute.

Last night two, or more, foxes decided to get it on in the front garden. It's not a pretty thing, this fox mating - at least it doesn't sound nice. They made an almighty racket and I'm fairly sure it was right outside out window. They may as well have been inside the bedroom (after they were done I swear I smelled cigarette smoke!)

Granted, I was already awake - Cate got up to complain about owls in her room (there aren't any), which woke up X, who is teething and decided to voice his discomfort, and Fen forgot nose-strips so there was a constant growling, rolling-snort emanating from his side of the bed. Then the foxes chimed in. I've been awake since 4:30am! It's madness.

For fifteen years I travelled for work - to conferences, meetings, etc. One year I spent 53 nights in hotel rooms - alone. At first I loved it but then it wore on me and I tired of it. How I longed to settle down, have a family and not have to travel for work. Right now - a hotel room on my own for a single night sounds divine. No kids waking me up, no imaginary owls hooting my children from their slumber, no death-rattle snoring from the man I love, no teething infants shrieking in the night and no blasted London foxes having an orgy in the yard.

And if I were to have that night I would pine away for all the above - minus the fox. I can't win. Ah well. Thank God for wine.

9 comments:

  1. We had a visitor last week! At 3:30 am! I feel your pain re ALL OF THE ABOVE! #thatisall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sitting in a bar once in the middle of Brixton and seeing a fox saunter past fearlessly. They really are everywhere.

    When we moved to Long Island, I was very excited to see a raccoon in the back yard - until I was told that they are the equivalent of foxes, scavengers and sometimes rabid too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in the Rust Belt it's coyotes in the towns, the pleasant thing about them is they will kill a dog just to eat his dog food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have city squirrels (rats with tails) and rabbits, which demolish the gardens. Not cute at all. Apparently there are also a few city coyotes which have been introduced to keep the rabbit population down. I just hope I"m not walking the dog when I meet one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's deer here all the way! Apart from the rut in autumn, they are quiet enough - just destructive of plants, any plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, but I love foxes. When I drove back from the hospital after my daughter was born I drove past a family of foxes and the cubs were playing together in the street.

    They looked so cute and it felt like a sign. I'm not sure of what - but it felt good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still back at the foxes getting it on. Are you sure it wasn't the neighbours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so glad I am not the only one thinking they are NOT cute!! As for the hotel room, I am with you on that one, I would love one night in a posh hotel and fancy room service...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giggling too much to comment properly. I had a similar night a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!