Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My wild, fascinating, glamorous life

It seems every plan I make these days gets canceled for one reason or another. Which isn't much fun for me. But I am feeling heaps better and despite a disappointing visit to the NHS, which was completely useless, I think I have my asthma under control. I'm not about to try running a 10K anytime soon but at least I can get through the day without collapsing in fits of uncontrollable coughing. I am spending a great deal of time walking through the heath with friends. Progress....

However, because of this I've had to relax, stay home and not do too much. I've read six books in a week, dozens of manuscripts and have watched more kid television than I care to admit (is it wrong to walk around the house singing the Hot Dog Song from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and like it? It is a catchy little tune!) But I've really enjoyed just taking it easy and hanging with my two favourite kids.

X and I have been doing a lot of learning games in the mornings before nap time and Cate and I have been having a blast doing her homework and practicing her phonics. It's amazing to watch them learn. She can spell her first and last name. She's 3 1/2. She's pointing out words on signs and sounding out letters. The other day she sounded out cat and looked at me very seriously saying, 'I'm reading.' She is!! It's astonishing how fast she picks things up. I have to say it's just the most wonderful thing to me - watching my kids learn. I love it.

So while I've been losing out with friends and my social life, I'm having some of the best times of my life right here with my children. On Saturday night, Cate and I had a hot date: The Princess and the Frog with popcorn and juice (mommy's juice was 12.5% alcohol but nevermind). We snuggled on the sofa, turned out most of the lights, wrapped up in a blanket and giggled through the movie. X was fast asleep, Fen was at work and we had a girls night. This Friday we're watching Beauty and the Beast and painting our nails. I can't wait!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry you're not feeling too flash, but those kid's movies sound like a great consolation. I'm a great Winnie the Pooh fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your asthma. It sounds like you are having a great time with the kids! Clever Cate, that's wonderful that she is starting to read already! Does she start school September 2012? She will have such a fantastic head start which will give her loads of confidence in all areas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making memories that will make Cate smile decades from now, you are a great mum. Oh and thanks a lot I can't get " hot dog, hot dog hot diggity dog" out of my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how fast they learn? My grandson will be 2 yrs old in April and every time he comes on webcam he has another new word. Enjoy this time with your children...it's so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Southern California :-)

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah that sounds really nice (the films and pop corn bits - not the coughing fits obviously). Glad your feeling slightly better though. I can totally relate to how nothing goes to plan. Am meant to be going out with Youngling for a play date but as am relying on using my mums car to get there may have to cancel all my friends as havent heard from mother yet. Hope you feel stronger soon and definitely no running 10k just yet ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!