Last year at this time I was deathly ill for the first time, working on my first laptop (I'm on my third) after the PC blow out debacle and just starting our flat hunt (which we all know how it turned out). Funny how a year can make a huge difference....one would think. I'm currently talking to estate agents preparing for yet another move (our fourth in 15 months). But this is the one that is going to stick (touch wood!).
Last year I had no idea what I was doing, really. Wasn't sure of neighborhoods, schools, or how to go about doing anything the British way. That's all changed - due to the many friends I've made the past year. I cast a wide net and caught a few really fascinating, interesting, funny and great people - which makes all the difference!
My favourite things about England thus far:
- My friends (of course)
- Hampstead and all the surrounding areas - it's beautiful and we made the right decision to move here, even if it's ridiculously expensive
- London - come on - it's London!
- The English countryside - because we had an infant when we moved here and had all the financial issues (being robbed, moving twice, etc.) we stayed local and it was fantastic. England is a wonderland with a castle on every corner. Can't beat that
- The food - stop laughing. I've become quite creative with my cooking since I can't get a lot of my regular American ingredients. I make a mean Sunday roast complete with Yorkshire Puddings and my sausage rolls are divine.
- My women's club - best decision I made since we moved here.
- This blog - keeps me sane and grounded.