Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy One Year Anniversary to Us

Are we British yet? I'm fairly certain those are photos of Cate and X on Her Majesty's desk. It's been over a year since we moved here. February 13th was the official day we landed in England as residents. It's been an interesting year to say the least.

Last year at this time I was deathly ill for the first time, working on my first laptop (I'm on my third) after the PC blow out debacle and just starting our flat hunt (which we all know how it turned out). Funny how a year can make a huge difference....one would think. I'm currently talking to estate agents preparing for yet another move (our fourth in 15 months). But this is the one that is going to stick (touch wood!).

Last year I had no idea what I was doing, really. Wasn't sure of neighborhoods, schools, or how to go about doing anything the British way. That's all changed - due to the many friends I've made the past year. I cast a wide net and caught a few really fascinating, interesting, funny and great people - which makes all the difference!

My favourite things about England thus far:

  • My friends (of course)
  • Hampstead and all the surrounding areas - it's beautiful and we made the right decision to move here, even if it's ridiculously expensive 
  • London - come on - it's London!
  • The English countryside - because we had an infant when we moved here and had all the financial issues (being robbed, moving twice, etc.) we stayed local and it was fantastic. England is a wonderland with a castle on every corner. Can't beat that
  • The food - stop laughing. I've become quite creative with my cooking since I can't get a lot of my regular American ingredients. I make a mean Sunday roast complete with Yorkshire Puddings and my sausage rolls are divine.
  • My women's club - best decision I made since we moved here.
  • This blog - keeps me sane and grounded. 
So a big thanks to all who read my ramblings. Your comments have made me happy and at times were the best advice and comfort a gal could  hope for!

12 comments:

  1. congrats! big milestone. am counting down to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how fast a year flies by, though I'm sure it didnt feel that fast at times. It's great to see someone who has come to England and actually enjoying it ;-) I do love England though of course there are bits that I would change if I were inc charge. lol. Take care and heres to the next year xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you came! (I also think the food is way better than its reputation...)

    Delia Lloyd
    www.realdelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your Britaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference a year makes! I'm new to England as well (moved here from New Jersey) and was just thinking about how much has changed in only SIX months...curious to see where I am after a year! Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your blog - it's always nice to find someone that can relate to what I've been going through.

    Nicole
    (a new reader)
    sentfromlondon.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congratulations. It's really nice to hear someone saying such nice things about England. I love it, whenever I go away I come back and love it even more but it gets a pretty bad press in many quarters. Here's to another brilliant year for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! You should be very proud of yourself for the courage and fortitude you've displayed. I'm sure at times it don't feel that way ,but look at all you've achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whey! Go you! I tweeted you earlier but don't know if you got it?

    Congrats lovely lady. Glad you're liking it over on the dark side ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on a very eventful year! I do hope the next move is it for a while otherwise you'll have the world record for racking up the stress points on those questionnaire things :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your blog for several months now. Love it! I'm a Brit living in the USA, so can relate. Best of British luck with the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a great addition to our landscape, long may you rain, sorry,... reign, in your seat in Hampstead.....

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your anniversary! Just stumbled upon your lovely blog. Your newest follower, XOL :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!