Monday, February 14, 2011

Fish pedicures - no thanks!

At the O2 Centre right now they have a fish pedicure station set up - it gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've walked by the tanks many times and there are always people with their feet in the tanks - loads of them.

I thought maybe I was just having an attack of OCD in the fact that there is no way I would put my feet in the tank for several reasons: people take off their socks and shoes after walking around and stink them in the tank - yuck! The fish live in the tank where they eat dead skin and then urinate and defecate all day and night - double yuck! And some of the folks' feet I've seen dangling in the water as these poor little fish suck off their dead skin scare me worse than any John Carpenter/Wes Craven film could ever - a trifecta yuck!

Then I read this Times article. I'm not crazy - it's kinda gross! It's been banned in 14 states in the US and is starting to raise health  issues here in the UK. 

I just came back from the O2 Centre (buying supplies for Valentine Day cupcakes with Cate) and saw two little girls about 9 or 10 with their feet in the tanks. Lawdy! I could barely look.

Now I know that having it done in a mall kiosk is not the same as having one at a fancy-schmansy salon but either way, I just don't want fish eating me: not sharks, piranhas or even miniature Turkish carp ( Gara Rufa).  

Is it just me? Or does this skeeve you out too?

16 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've just read the Times article that you link to.

    There are loads of 'appy feat' branches opening up all over the show and I'll be honest, I was interested.

    After this I wouldn't set foot (pun intended) in there now. I had no idea.

    Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO! It's not just you, I've been so repulsed by them every time I walk by. Jack of course wants to stop and look at the "feeshies"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about this and I don't get it. What's wrong with your everyday pedicure? When did someone think getting fish involved was a great idea?

    And who are the schmucks who pay for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were all over Cambodia when we were there, and my husband decided to do it. There was no way I would do it, but he said it was just weird, and didn't stay in the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SKEEVE Fish pedicures. They were banned in the US and Hong Kong so that should tell all that it isn't ok to put your feet in water and have fish eat your skin and then not clean out the water before the next person gets in there. GROSS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, good to know I'm not alone. I feel sorry for the fish, poor little feet chewing creatures that they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. I think the very idea of it is awful - how did the fish develop this habit?

    There is a salon near me and the advertise the fish as "the clever fish." That's kind of a contradiction I thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not so much the fish, but the putting-your-feet-in-someone-else's-water that brings me out in hives. Although I am ticklish so I probably wouldn't be able to stand the fish either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh definitely not just you! I can't think of anything worse...awful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as the idea horrifies me, the comments by the salon owner are even scarier. Is she really that stupid? Her fish are absolutely clean, I'm sure that UV filter makes all the difference...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think that's made it over this side of the world and I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Thanks for this. I got a voucher for this fish "pedicure" as a present and I was going to try it on Thursday. I won't now...Sounds horrific. Ciao. A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yuck! I don't have much hard skin on my feet. I think I would be scared I'd lose a toe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's definitely not just you! I can't stand the thought either... Eewww...!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ayak, I've found worse.
    http://americanhousewifeinlondon.blogspot.com/2011/03/you-want-to-put-powdered-bird-excrement.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!