Monday, January 3, 2011

It's a new year!


I was fast asleep when the clock struck midnight on 1/1/11. It was a rough year, that 2010, and it couldn't come to end soon enough. So instead of waiting up for it to end, I went to bed - I think I earned the right to sleep.

New Year's eve is Fen's birthday so he gets to call the shots every year, which is fine with me. If left to me we'd be out spending loads of money and dressed to kill - he'd prefer to be mellow and I'm thinking that he's got it right. When we first met we always went out, then I'd have huge dinner parties with elaborate menu's and all my fine china and crystal but since we've had kids we've been keeping a pretty low profile. I now prefer it.

However, he does meet me somewhere in the middle. On December 30th I take him out to dinner every year - his choice of restaurant. This year we went to the George pub on Haverstock Hill. There is no chance I'd ever pick this pub for one of my birthday dinners, but it's close, it's food isn't bad and it's a sports pub (Shangri la to the sports guy). So we ventured over and had a nice dinner and a beer (yes, even me -  I like beer). We even managed to walk a few steps to the Roebuck pub and had a drink by the fire, which was lovely.

The next day, New Years eve I baked a massive, triple layer red velvet cake with cream cheese icing (again, his choice). I made a giant dinner of steaks (from the Hampstead Butcher - love that place) with sauteed mushrooms and onion, au gratin potatoes (home made), and roasted asparagus. I had champagne, he had Baileys and we were all set to watch Casablanca after dinner. Alas, it was not meant to be. X has been fascinated (read: messing around with and pushing all the buttons) on our Virgin box and it was not taped - it was just a black screen. so we watched something else, which I promised Fen I would not reveal as it's a tad girlie!

The kids blew out the candles on the cake and went to bed leaving us to ourselves for the night and it was lovely. I like my husband and we have a nice time together - whether we're just chatting, out doing something, or sitting together snuggled on the sofa watching telly.

So the year came to an end and good riddance to it. I sincerely hope that 2011 has much more in store in a good way for us. I dread the thought of having to move once again this year but it really must happen. We're heading to New Zealand this year as well which we're really looking forward to. We've got travels through the UK and Europe as well. It's going to be a good year. Never mind that I accidentally threw out my favourite pair of earrings on New Year's day and cried like a baby for an hour. the year is still off to a better start than last year!

And best of all - no resolutions. I've got enough to deal with already!

If you were wondering how the cake was received - here's the answer:

8 comments:

  1. My little guy had red velvet cake last week (aparently for the first time) and fell in love with it. I'm not a baker at all but I promised him I'd give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks divine! Now that my resolution is to lose weight, it's really making me want to hold off another year to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expat Mum - I wrote about red velvet cakes before you can get the recipe here: http://jollyoldengland.blogspot.com/2009/10/red-velvet-cake.html'

    BlahCooCooBlah: Thanks - it tastes mighty fine. I'm starting my diet on January 21 - I need an adjustment period to let the idea really sink in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cor blimey. Brilliant cake. I tried not to go out on New Year but was out-voted and in the end we had a great time at the village hall.

    I'll join you on the diet on 21 Jan.... I can only really diet after my Birthday in mid-Jan.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful birthday/New Year. The cake looks delicious!

    Here's to a much better 2011 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks absolutely amazing. I hope 2011 is a wonderful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm that's a cake! Happy birthday and new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are going to be in the Wellington area, maybe we can meet up for a drink!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!