Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bleary eyed

I'm dead on my feet today - can you guess why? I haven't really slept well since we moved here and there are four factors as to why:

1. X - he's only one and sleeps through the night most nights. Every now and then he wakes up and I usually just put a plug in him (a dummy/binky/pacifier) and he tends to just go back to sleep. Rarely does he get up up during the night now but he's wide awake at some point between 6 and 7am every morning. So regardless of the amount of sleep I've had the night before I'm up when heir commandant beckons.

2. Cate - she's three and a half but lately she's been getting up in the middle of the night. She likes to softly pad into our room, tip-toe up to my sleeping form, then put her face right next to mine and tap on my cheek. I wake up with a jolt. Her latest excuses: "I need chocolate milk", "I'm scared, there is an owl in my room", and my favourite, "There are spiders in my bed." For the record there are never owls or spiders. Ever. She's terrified of owls and I have no idea why. Santa brought her a few sticker story books (these are fantastic for travel activities) and in the ballet one there is a Swan Lake scene with an owl in a tree - she covered it with stickers and announced it was 'scary'. I think a trip to the London Zoo is in order to get her over this. Owls are our friends and seeing how I'm becoming a night owl I need to stress this!

3. Fen - he snores. Not soft little rumblings - we're talking LOUD growling, frightening snoring. This is not enough to want to divorce him, in the light of day. However,  in the dark of night I might sing a different song (peppered with unique and interesting combinations of four letter words)as the awful racket emanates from his snooter reverberating around the room and rattling the bed. He has nose strips which work for the most part but some nights - when he has a cold or if he's had a few beers - nothing can stop the freight train that is his sleep apnea.

4. Me - once I'm jolted awake it takes me a while to get back to sleep. I've written about this before and it just stinks. I need a vacation from my own head sometimes!

So I face today tired - it was Fen's fault (sometimes they tag team but last night it was all him). I looked in the mirror this morning and I looked my age plus 10 years (okay, maybe I exagerate a tad) but it wasn't pretty.  I'm not one for cosmetic surgery or botox or anything like that so I guess I'm stuck with whatever nature has to offer.

However, yesterday I was chatting with a client who is literally a beauty queen - she is stunning, stunning beyond words. She said, as casually as possible, " I just had some filler put in so I can't really smile yet." I have no idea what that means but it sounded like something a construction worker might tell me during a renovation. Mind you she's my age (sorta) and looks amazing. I thought about it this morning as I showered.

The conclusion - I shall be filler-free but I did just make an appointment for a facial! If I can't get sleep at least I can look like I did.What did Fernando Lamas (and Billy Crystal) say?: It's better to look good than to feel good." I doubt it but I'm willing to give it a go.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should go all out and get cosmetic surgery that makes your eyes huge and your head swivel all the way around and gives you feathers. That would certainly end the midnight milk requests! Or at least take a nap while the cucumbers are on your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand how you feel! You did make me giggle about the snoring - I often have to nudge Pete to stop his snoring! Tobes can be wakeful, and when he wakes, thinks that he can get up for the day. He wanted to start the day yesterday at 4:30am! I had to get into bed with him to get him to settle (and stop crying) and he finally went back to sleep about 6am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mini always sneaks in to bed with us and then I get the snoring in both ears. I think he needs his toncils looking at. I suffer with terrible insomnia and have just given up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily I snore too, although this doesn't seem to stop the 6yo coming into our bed at all hours....

    Much more wine I suggest.... for you. not him.

    We love you and think you are gorgeous, no pily-filla required.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!