Thursday, December 9, 2010

The search for the perfect tree...

Things have been incredibly busy for me lately. I haven't sat down for a minute - until today when I woke up exhausted and decided to take a day off of everything (except being a mommy!).

Last week I closed two very successful deals which was great. Two projects I have been working on since the summer have finally sold - ironically to the same editor! But it's nice to see all the hard work paying off and being appreciated in the end. I'm working on two more for next week as well - one huge, one small - both terrific (natch).

I've pretty much finished my shopping - I pick up things throughout the year so when Christmas rolls around I have a scavenger hunt to collect all the goodies and then have an afternoon of wrapping. That is next week once we get our tree - where we're going to put it is a mystery but we have to have a tree!! The tree! I haven't seen one that I'm gung ho about yet. They seem sparse, but I keep looking. I'll find it soon - I hope.

In the meantime,  here are a few of my favourite trees 'round the world to inspire us all:
Rockefeller Centre tree in New York City - first time in 20 years I won't see the tree. Makes me really homesick.
This giant tree is in Monte Ingino outside of Gubbio, in Italy's Umbria region. Composed of about 500 lights connected by 40,000 feet of wire, the'tree' is a modern marvel for an ancient city.
This enormous tree is in Paris, of course, in the Galeries Lafayette! It's stunningly chic, so gorgeous, so sophisticated and so...Parisian.
Illuminating the Gothic facades of Prague's Old Town Square, and casting its glow over the manger display of the famous Christmas market, is a grand tree cut in the Sumava mountains in the southern Czech Republic .

And last, but not least:

A token of gratitude for Britain's aid during World War II, the Christmas tree in London's Trafalgar Square has been the annual gift of the people of Norway since 1947.This one we're going to see on Monday. Let's the tree hunt begin...!

6 comments:

  1. The tree at Trafalgar Square is something I always enjoyed going to see when I lived in London....Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that about the Trafalgar Square tree - thank you for enlightening me, I love learning new bits of trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you took some time out and that your hard work is paying off!

    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Italian tree. It's given me some ideas for next year. I'll just paint a tree on the window, stick a few lights up and fool everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fab trees...love them, especially, of course, the London one from Norway...the 'ties that bind'...at a time when Norway awards the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, I find such statements of gratitude and unity (like this tree) enormously moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blog post.

    I'm on a catch-up day of reading.... hope to see the actual tree you chose in another post

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!