Sunday, November 14, 2010

The best laid plans...

After a super busy, very productive, sleep deprived week I was looking forward to the Tower of London tour and the ceremony of keys on Friday with a group from my women's club as well as the rest of our action packed weekend.

All day Friday I felt off.

It started with coffee with a new friend who is quite lovely and thinking of developing herself into a brand. She has all the elements so I hope she goes for it. My lunch canceled and although I like this friend, I was kinda relieved as I was feeling tired.

I did a little grocery shopping. worked all afternoon, did the school run to pick up Cate, entertained both of them, fed them dinner, got ready to go out and waited for the nanny to show up so I could bolt out the door to meet Fen and head to meet the group.

The tour was fascinating, and we were lucky to have a really engaging tour guide. He certainly knew his stuff. Fen and I are total geeks and love documentaries. We recently watched an episode of the British TV show Castle which was all about William the Conquerer who built the first castles in England, included the Tower of London. I was also and English/History (British history with a focus on the 17th century) double major with a minor in English Literature (19th century British fiction - not very surprising). He ran through the rise and demise of many folks I remembered from my studies - I had briefly dusted off that part of my brain by reading about the Tower and it's occupants before we got there. I am really a dork. But I love anything historical.

It poured at one point and as the tour is outside I got a little soaked. Even with my umbrella and practically hiding under Fen I felt chilled. One thing in abundantly clear, I need to get new foul weather gear something I've been saying since we arrived. Anyway, the tour and ceremony were fantastic and it was a good group of folks so I had a great time. We all piled in the tube and headed back home. By the time we got in the door I was beat. Still managed to have a glass of wine and watch a little television with Fen before calling it a night.

The next morning I woke up at 5:30 sick with a rotten head cold. Sneezing, coughing, chilly with red-rimmed eyes and bone tired. X and Cate got up at 6 and I went out to give them drinks and be with them until Fen got up at 7:30. I went back to bed immediately and stayed there until 11:30. All our plans for the weekend were canceled. I'm still ill but I have to get better for tomorrow. I have a HUGE week again!!!

8 comments:

  1. I hope that you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love English history and although I've been to the Tower, I've never seen the ceremony. It's definitely on my must-do list!
    Feel better soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Tower! Any excuse to go there makes tolerating house guests so much easier. My favorite part is the Crown Jewels, obviously. That and the toilets that emptied into the courtyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor you, feel better soon lovely.

    Thermal knickers, vest and sox is all I'm saying....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is bearable if you get the right gear. Just.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor you I hate being ill. Why is it when we are ill we always have plans when everyone else in my house is ill it is when we are doing nothing. So annoying! xx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!