Sunday, November 7, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

It's bloody cold today! Cate and X nearly froze at the park, where we didn't stay long. I came barrelling home half frozen with X to warm up - Cate and Fen stayed on for a while. Then I got to thinking.... wouldn't it be nice to have a hot toddy?

One of my favourite things to do is flip through my cookbooks, of which I have many, and look for fun things to make. I quickly remembered a recipe for a chai tea Toddy in Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Recipes 2 and went on the hunt for it. I have a slow cooker but haven't used it yet as I was worried I'd blow it up like I have several appliances before it. But I plugged it into the giant transformer and lo - we were in business.

I made a test batch and the result: It is GOOD!  I used low fat milk, otherwise I followed the recipe directly. The house smelled heavenly while it was warming which made it nice and cosy. I've only had a small cup, we'll have nice mugs of it later once the kids are down. We've got a movie to watch tonight so I'm very excited about snuggling on the sofa, drinking our hot toddies and watching the flick!

Thought I'd share it with you in case you're looking for a pick-me-up.

Chai Tea Toddy

8 cups boiling water
16 bags of Chai Black Tea
1/2 cup spiced rum
1/2 cup vanilla vodka
2 cinnamon sticks (plus more for garnish)
2 cups sweetened condensed milk

1. Pour boiling water into a 4 quart slow cooker. Place tea bags in slow cooker and secure lid with the bag tabs hanging outside. Let steep for 10 minutes.

2. Stir in rum and vodka. Add cinnamon sticks. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 2 hours.

3 Stir in condensed milk and switch to WARM setting for serving.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds so yummy!

    Will be trying that ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy. Very toasty in The Larches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, would it travel well in a thermos I wonder? Would definitely pick up my wife's shopping adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, it is definitely worth brewing.

    James, in the book she says you can reheat so I guess it will travel. hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this sounds delicious! Unfortunately it is hot here at the moment but as soon as I am back in the UK I am trying this recipe for sure! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! Sounds perfect, even if it is 8 am when Im reading this!

    We arrived home late last night after being away almost a week and the house was COLD!!! Its amazing how long it takes a place to warm up...Good excuse to snuggle up close last night, as if an excuse is needed ;)

    I have a slow cooker and Ive been looking for more recipes to make in it! I shall file away this recipe and use it at the weekend when all the family are here. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! I'm currently in a flat in London with no heat, and I could really use one of those to warm me up!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!