Monday, October 18, 2010

My poor little asthmatic

Cate was diagnosed with asthma yesterday and we're off to the doc to get her on some sort of treatment. Poor little thing, she's been coughing so much I've been really worried. She's had issues in the past and whenever she exerts herself she starts coughing up a storm.

Last night it got so bad she threw up in bed. Everything was fine, X was down, she was in bed (coughing but fine) so Fen and I were gearing up to watch a movie. Suddenly she made a strange gagging sound and I was up off the sofa and dashing into her room. She had vomited all over herself. She looked at me with her big, blue sad eyes and said, 'I don't feel well.' Oh, it crushed my soul!

We cleaned her up and I snuggled her in our bed until she fell asleep. When she was in a deep sleep we put her back in her bed where she slept fairly peacefully through the night. This morning I was back on the phone with NHS trying to get her sorted. I spoke with a pediatrician friend of mine - one who has correctly diagnosed her twice when her doctors could not (she was hospitalized for 5 days with a very rare and awful staph infection SSSS - scalded skin syndrome at age 13 months - that was horrible but she survived. I'm still recovering). So I trust her completely - she has armed me with the verbage to get what I need for Cate. And I will.

Just a post or two ago I said I hated being ill, the only thing worse is for my children to feel sick. She most likely will outgrow this but I want her to be able to run and play without wheezing and gasping for air. It's very difficult to watch and I find myself taking deep breaths alot right now. Poor thing, she seems unfazed and happy despite it all.

Wish us luck at the doctors. I'm not leaving until I get exactly what I want. I promise I'll at least be nice.

11 comments:

  1. Oh poor thing and poor you! Its so stressful when they are ill. My 2 year old has ended up in hospital a couple of times with breathing difficulties. I'm terrified of it happening again but they won't diagnose asthma saying that he may grow out of it. Good luck at the doctors. Hopefully preventative inhalers may work well and make a difference. Let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby, to both of you. My own daughter had asthma.It lessened with age and she was an All-State softball player,so be of good cheer! Stand firm with the medicos and God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope things go well at the docs and that Cate gets what she needs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good wishes. I needed have been worried, however. The fabulous doctor at NHS humoured me, listened to me diagnose my child -then he did a thorough exam and proclaimed me correct. He was wonderful and Cate is now on steroids and an inhaler. Like you, Sew Scrumptious, he did not say asthma but told me she most likely will develop asthma later in life. So, James, it's good to know they do fare well the older they get. My Olympic dreams for her are dashed, however. Maybe she can be President... (I'm kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  5. having ill or sick children is just the hardest! My son also has asthma and it was diagnosed because of extensive coughing. He also had whooping cough too though and that was horrific!

    I hope you get all you need from the docs, and your little one is okay :)

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, very scary. I remember the days of cough and vom, bathing kids at midnight. But it is so wonderful when they snuggle into you in bed, all clean and fresh to fall comfortably asleep.

    Poor Cate, poor you. Get lots of sleep

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Erin. My son has asthma and we had some scary run ins with ER back when he was young. The nice thing about asthma (and over 2 years of age, I believe that it *is* called asthma, at lst in the States) is that it's a very treatable disease, particularly as they get older and you dont need to do nebulizer treatments anymore and they can just use inhalers. And - FYI - whenever he gets a bad attack (rare, now that he's on a daily chewable med) he always vomits when he coughs. Yuck. You have my sympathies...

    Delia Lloyd
    www.realdelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with ya. I've got one with asthma. We had a vomiting incident at the Chelsea A&E two years ago. We have more attacks in the fall and winter. Spring brings relief. Also, Target rocks. My girls have that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, poor girl! My brother was diagnosed with asthma when he was a little kid and he eventually was able to manage it very well. He started off on inhalers and now only takes one pill a day to manage it. He never stopped playing sports and was always very active, despite his asthma. I hope your daughter grows out of it completely but even if she doesn't, I know she can have a very happy and active lifestyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to come back and hear about your little one's asthma. From experience of having a sick child many years ago, I know that a mother's instincts are best - so keep on lobbying for the right help and assurance. Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing worse than your child being ill especially if you can't do anything to make it better. My niece was diagnosed with asthma aged 3, now with the correct medical advice and prescription she leads a normal healthy life. Wishing you good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!