Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I pulled a granny...

Today I did something my maternal grandmother, Virginia, was famous for - I stole sugar packets. I have no regrets. I noticed my Splenda supply was running dangerously low today and knew I couldn't get to the store  as my schedule was full. So at my coffee date this morning (with a lovely new friend who also has children at Cate's school) I noticed their full supply of Splenda packets and pilfered five.

My wonderful grandmother loved to take sugar packets and small 1/2 and 1/2 containers from anywhere she went. I think this is a common thing for many grannies - don't know why it happens but it does. It didn't matter that she had an enormous supply already stashed in her kitchen - she helped herself. When she passed away (twenty years ago now) we cleaned out her house - there were enough sugar packets in the kitchen to feed a small village for a year. They were stored EVERYWHERE. It was funny and sad at the same time but I can't ever see a packet of sugar without thinking of her. There was also an extraordinary stash of chocolate throughout the house too! She had a fabulous sweet tooth.

Fen and I are guilty of stealing sugar packets and leaving them on her gravestone. I know she'd get a kick out of that. I'm sure the folks at the cemetery wonder why on earth they are there. We didn't get there this year, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Tomorrow I will go back to buying sugar and Splenda, but today I honour my grandmom!

4 comments:

  1. Cool.

    We steal ketchup to feed the 5yo's habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a fab way to honour her memory (at the cemetery) and a fun 'tradition' to carry on. And why not? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny!
    Grannies love doing that! Must be some reaction from war rationing or something.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!