Friday, October 29, 2010

Heeeere's Mommy......

No, I haven't snapped and started swinging an axe! Last night we were invited to a reception and viewing of The Shining sponsored by Vouchercodes.com  If you remember, I blogged about the invite a while ago in my post Halloween's A'Coming.

Well, last night Fen and I headed off to the Charlotte Street Hotel for the reception and movie. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and I would highly recommend it for guests, dinner or hosting an event. I think I would have walked right by it without taking note if we hadn't been invited in. It's really beautiful and everyone was so friendly. Loved the lobby and the reception room. Lots of little cosy rooms, great lighting, if I had to have a reception of some kind it would make the top of my list.

The reception was lovely - we mingled with fellow bloggers and journalists. They served fantastic food - my Kiwi husband was particularly fond of the fish and chips in little cones, I was partial to the mini hotdogs! We had a few drinks and then made our way into the screening room.

I haven't seen The Shining in at least 10 years and never on the big screen - always on TV's and not on a widescreen either. When they announced the movie Fen and I were excited - it wasn't on our actual pick list but I think it was the perfect choice. It's a classic horror film but it's not gory or gruesome like many films today - it leaves a lot to the imagination. Jack Nicholson is some kinda creepy. I forgot he was a writer, which was fitting for this crew. Well,  he wasn't much of a writer as he only wrote one line over and over (remember what it is?)

After the week I've had playing referee to my little ones it certainly was a welcome break. And the movie is still as scary and creepy as ever. Perfect for Halloween.

Just want to thank vouchercodes.com again for the evening. And if you haven't checked them out, please do. They have excellent deals on just about everything you need for the holidays from many big name stores like Tesco, Curry, Boden, Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, Interflora and PLENTY of others. (this is not a paid endorsement - I just think they're fab).

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun, it's nice to take a break every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you come out feeling like shiny (happy) people?

    Glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen The Shining . . . I know, I am horrified too!

    May have to have a scare fest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini hotdogs and fish & chips in little cones sound so good! (and fun to eat!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun!
    I used to have breakfast meetings at the Charlotte Street hotel regularly in my reporter days. It's a real ad industry hangout. The brunch was delicious. Lovely place.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!