Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rocking on the porch

I'm sitting in a rocking chair on my front porch looking over the lake sipping coffee first thing in the morning. It's lovely. I love it here at our cottage. I've been coming here since I was born and it always has the same effect - calming.

My two sisters and I own the cottage now. We are the fourth generation of three sisters to own this property - a man has never owned it. Granted men have always been fixing the roof, and doing the heavy labour - in fact, my great grandfather oversaw the building of the cottage and it's built to last. But it makes me proud that I come from a long line of independent, property owning women. Not sure when the cottage was built but I think it's coming up on 100 years. It's about 95 years old now - I'll have to double check. But it has changed very little in my lifetime. We have a new dock, deck and boathouse as well as new steps but the cottage itself - other than a new coat of paint and new mattresses/furniture from time to time - it's the same as it ever was.

I love that.

So even though I have piles of work to do and my kids are getting a tad cranky - I sit out here rocking, typing, reading blogs and email and just enjoying the half hour of solace. Ahhh - every morning should be so peaceful.

3 comments:

Go ahead, make my day!