Saturday, September 25, 2010

Conkers


Imagine my delight when I read this post on how to find a good conker and play the game to win. I grew up as a huge fan of Enid Blyton. In the autumn, the kids (Famous Five, Secret Seven, et al) always hunted for conkers and played the game.

Being on an Caribbean island I had no concept of what a conker was. A conch (pronounced conk), in the Bahamas, is a pink shell which makes a fabulous salad, stew, fritters, etc. So I was at a loss.

But now, many years later, I'm living in London and have noticed kids with their conkers and I can finally have a visual on it. It's a very popular afterschool game which can be fun or serious! I've noticed a few little ones crying as their conkers were conquered. Ah well, the agony of defeat 'n' all.

This might seem small, but it made me smile from ear to ear. My kids will play this game that I often envied and wanted to play. Poor me, I had to make do with the beach, the sun and the sea. The grass is always greener, I guess.

3 comments:

  1. Bahamas! That would be fantastic. You are very lucky. We're off conker hunting today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some schools the game of conkers is banned for Health and Safety - it has all gone a bit far. I love the feel of conkers and can never resist the thrill of opening up the cases to see what is inside. Was an Enid Blyton fan too, so you can be sure I'll be back to see what you are up to. (Found you via Grumpy Old Ken) Every Blessing and congrats on your 1yr anniversary in the Uk

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!