Monday, September 6, 2010

Almost time to pack it up and head back to reality

Once again I'm on the front porch looking over the lake and just relaxing - it's so nice. But we're heading back to New York City again tomorrow for a few nights before our flight back to London and reality.

It's been absolutely lovely sitting out here in the country without a care in the world. It's been maddening being cut off from the internet and the world via my computer but I think it's been a great lesson for me. Sometimes you just HAVE to disconnect. I am a little to addicted to the internet, Twitter, my blog and reading everyone else's blogs. It's been a lifeline during the very trying move to London and there is no way I'm going to abandon it. But this has been a true vacation and I'm happy to have had it.

On Wednesday I'll be in my office toiling away like a real New Yorker and I'm looking forward to it. But after a great deal of thought I know moving out of the city at this juncture in our lives was a wise decision. Fen and I never wanted to raise children in the city- not even in Brooklyn. So we'll raise them in London and who knows where else. I think it's great for other folks if that's what they want but Fen and I were raised with back yards, streets you could ride a bike on, friends in the 'hood and general sense of community and neighbors. I'd like that for Cate and X. And I'm finding it in London.

I'm not looking forward to the flight back - X was a nightmare, unfortunately. But I am looking forward to getting back to London - something I never thought I'd say. But it's home now - and there ain't no place like home.

5 comments:

  1. Hopefully the flight back might be easier if it's a night time flight. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to the internet too...I think it may be common with ex-pats...it's an excellent way of keeping lines of communication open.

    Safe journey home...or at least "home" as you now appear to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to totally disconnect sometimes.

    I hope the journey "back home" to London goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on home Erin, we rather like you over this side of the Pond.
    Lou
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's hoping the flight went well. And welcome back. I've been back for 2 weeks, and I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!