Saturday, August 7, 2010

Uninspired and a little home sick

I've been so busy lately I've been completely uninspired to write my blog. There are a lot of things coming up - our trip to NY and our cottage in PA, which I'm really excited about but I'm also a tad worried.

I haven't been outside of New York City for more than 3 1/2 weeks in over 19 years but I've been gone for six months. It's going to be very odd to go back again. I'm worried it's going to upset me a great deal. Although things are going well in London now, I still find myself pining for my old life in NY.

The thing about New York that I always loved is that you are always aware of the fact that you're in New York City. On a daily basis I'd see the landmarks that make the city so famous - my office was a stone's throw from the Empire State Building, Times Square and Madison Square Garden. I saw them all often. I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge and waved at the Statue of Liberty and gazed at the city skyline. I loved it. I really did. But, to be fair, after nearly 19 years, I was ready for a change.

I came to London eager to start anew and create a new life here for a few years. Everyone warned me how hard it was going to be and it has been. Granted I've had a few rough patches with being sick so many times, having an infant, and let's not forget the dreaded eviction. But it's getting better.

Last night, for the very first time, I forgot where I was and just felt at home. After four apartments in one year (our Brooklyn apt, the corporate housing, flat 1 and now flat 2), I finally feel like we're settling in and getting comfortable. Thank God.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are starting to feel at home.
    I've always wanted to visit NY and you have just about mentioned every sight that I want to see. I will get there one day (probably when the kids are grown up!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you ever stop getting pangs of homesickness from time to time. I used to be apprehensive about trips back to the UK, but not any more. I now know that this is my home. You sound like you have settled pretty well...so enjoy your trip back to NY...and go with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post. I think many of us dream of a "romantic" life living in Europe or wherever we dream of, but we never really anticipate just how much we'd miss home when we left. New York City is my favorite place in the world, and I have loved living just a few short hours from the city my whole life. I'll be traveling down to NYC to apply in person for my Fiance Settlement Visa at the British Consulate-General. From a very young girl, my dream was to live in New York City. I soon found that it would be rather impossible unless I got an apartment with about six roommates. I always preferred to live alone lol. I will now be going to NYC for the last time (at least for a long time) to apply to permanently move far, far away. The irony is not lost on me.

    I hope you enjoy your trip back home and that you cherish your time there. It'll be good to remind yourself that no matter where you go, New York will always be there to go back to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!