Monday, August 23, 2010

Notting Hill Carnival

I've been looking forward to the Notting Hill Carnival for a while now. I just realized I won't be here for it and I'm SO disappointed. I went to it several years ago while visiting London and had a great time - like being in Rio for Carnival! The food is great, the music is right up my alley - Calypso, Soca, samba, steel drums - the stuff that gets in the blood and MAKES you dance. Love it!

They have a parade that rivals that of any parade I've been to. That includes Carnival, Mardi Gras and my home country's Junkanoo. (Click on Junakoo for a video!) They have beautiful and even outrageous costumes and parade through Notting Hill. They work months on the design and building of the costumes and it shows - they are spectacular! On Sunday it's the Children's Parade, which I had hoped to take Cate and X to - but will have to wait - but, please, dress up the kids in costumes and GO if you can. It's loads of fun.

Finally, the food - it's all the fare I grew up on: peas and rice, jerk chicken, fried plantains, etc. etc. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

If you do go but have to travel I found this website that is offering discounts of £15 off flexible rate room bookings at Travelodge. It's worth looking into.

The carnival is this coming Sunday and Monday - August 29th and 30th. Go and let me know how it much fun you had. Wish I was going too.... (I am not affiliated with the Carnival - I just really like it!)

3 comments:

  1. I've never been and can't go this year as I have other plans. However, your post makes it sound so appealing that next year I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Ladbroke Grove for two months, many years ago. It was the two months in the year before the carnival (1988) ..... wow, that WAS a loud place to live!!! Good fun though, 'especially as a 22yo. I agree about the lush food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing it also. I'll have to wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!