Thursday, July 8, 2010

Exotic foods

Last night we had lamb chops from New Zealand, broccoli rabe from Algeria, Spanish strawberries and Dutch cherries. It seems our diet is becoming exotically international.

Back in Brooklyn we had fruits and veg from the US and south American - Chilean seabass, Argentinian grapes, and lamb chops from New Zealand (hmmm.. what a coincidence). Maybe it's just me but I think it's really cool that the foods we're eating now are coming from far away lands that are on my (extremely long) list of places to see.

And the food seems to taste better. Maybe it's because the last year I was in NY I was pregnant and ill the whole time. But the foods here taste better and seem so much nicer. I'll have to see if it's just me - we're heading back to NY and Pennsylvania next month. Maybe I'll have a change of heart.

But for now I will continue eating my way through the countries I hope to visit.

8 comments:

  1. Don't forget the goodies that are grown seasonally in the UK. The asparagus was fantastic this year and English cherries are to die for.
    Happy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister completely agrees with you. She has been to every continent but one and swears the fruits and veggies have a little something extra in the way of freshness and flavor, she is quite adamant about this.
    So in essence, you may be quite right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, over twenty per cent of the food we eat in the UK is grown here in south Lincolnshire... is that on your 'must see' list too? I can recommend it... well, parts of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your adventures. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with James. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us. And Lincolnshire really is worth a visit - or at least the parts that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone. I have been enjoying the local farmers markets here and buying produce every week. Spencer Park and Tim - Lincolnshire sausages are a permanant fixture on my shopping list and on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for buying New Zealand lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welsh lamb is worth a punt too. British beef is commonly grass fed and if you get the well aged cuts - 28 days, it really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!