Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sisyphus and the laundry


This is how I feel about my laundry: Sisyphus pushing the giant rock up a hill only to have it roll down again. I am having a devil of a time with the washer/dryer. I've been ruined by owning my own American washer and dryer for years and years that trying to manage laundry here in the UK is challenging (and disappointing).The machine is small and takes an eternity to dry. Everything is still slightly damp and wrinkled when it comes out.

With two small children the laundry just seems to grow daily and I just can't keep up with it. When we moved in I had too much laundry and have been trying to get it down to a managable size. I did two loads a day because that's how long it takes to wash and dry them. And they are TINY loads. I can't do the sheets and towels in our dryer, so when it's time to do them I wash, then lug them to the laundrette down the hill to dry.

I just don't get it! Why not have real dryers? I'm not a fan of line dried clothes or sheets or towels. This is the one thing I cannot get used to. I know I'm grumbling and I don't care - I have to complain and here's why: this morning I put away what I thought was the last load of laundry.

Hooray, thought I. I've finally caught up and now I can stay on top of it.

When Fen saw that the laundry basket was empty - he filled it with laundry he was 'saving'. Stockpiling is more like it. Crap! Now I'm back to two loads again until I can catch up with this lot.

One day, when I'm rich, I'm buying two washing machines and two dryers and then hiring a person to clean it all. Oh, and they'll iron and do windows too!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Problem is, a lot of Brits line dry whenever they can so they're used to the smaller dryers.
    Could you see if the laundrette does a service where you could drop them off and pick them up a few hours later? I know I would sacrifice a few other things for that - I hate laundry with a passion and am constantly doing it - with bigger appliances. (Have to say though, these agitating washers do a crap job at getting dirt out. Can't wait till it breaks down for good.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was going to ask you if people line dry 'cross the pond. Because that's what everyone does here in NZ.

    I hope we can still be bloggy friends, because I'm actually a fan of the line dry. (I'm a bohemian.) Dryers use so much electricity. The carbon tax on them should be enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do have independent and decent dryers in the UK (though how expensive they are I don't know). Thankfully my British Beau's mother has one and I use it anytime I am there and it works just fine. I know this is not the norm though. She also has her washer and dryer in the garage (instead of the UK standard of being in the kitchen). I am sooo grateful for this when I am there. The Beau knows that when we get hitched and have a place of our own I want a similar set up.

    So, if in dire straights, there are dryers that do function somewhere in the UK. I do know how you feel though as dryers are nearly impossible to find in Germany where I've lived twice. I always looked forward to the opportunity to actual have tumble dried clothes after that.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!