Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The New Place

We've been here for just over two weeks and I'm so much happier. This place feels like home whereas the other did not. I haven't lived in an apartment building in over 9 years - I've had a private entrance and a private yard for so long it's weird to be back in shared space - but it's not bad.

Everyone is welcoming - even Frenchie - who wasn't pleasant in the beginning but he's warming up. There are children in almost every flat here. And Cate is loving it. We're out in the back yard with all the other kids every evening and she is overjoyed with the company. The older kids dote on her - pushing her in the swing, playing chase with her and just carrying her around. It's great to watch. The adults are all great too - just yesterday I was upstairs with some new neighbors - just moved here from Boston - having wine and then we went outside to sit with the kids and chat with others. It's just nice. It's almost like living in a dorm! But in the nice, friendly community way!



The garden is just beautiful. The photos here are all in the front and side yard. I love it!
 And...I'm very, very thrilled to be here and out of the old place.

8 comments:

  1. Oh it looks really fresh and green. It was clearly meant to be, a 'sliding doors' moment in the other property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. Glad it's finally coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the community vibe you're describing. Actually, from my experience that was quite rare in London so you've found a real gem. And the garden photos look really lovely. A good environment is so important for maintaining an everyday, positive sense of place. Oh, and Im pleased Frenchie has mellowed a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Garden" - although since you're with other Americans, you can say "Yard". (Just kidding). It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new place looks great. I want to know one thing though, who's frenchie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Lou - I love sliding Doors!! Mike - I'm reading Brighton finally!!! In my 'yard' as Expat Mum notes - I call the front the garden and the back the yard - I'll post photos soon. Ryan - click on Frenchie inthe post and it will take you to the link where he is rudely introduced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you've found the perfect home and perfect neighbours. After all the problems with the old place, it must be such a relief. I'm very pleased for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just caught up with all your flat dramas... what a nightmare!!!! So pleased to hear you're now settled, and happier than ever - just in time for your first English summer. Isn't it funny how bad news can end up being a blessing in disguise?? A few years back we were given three weeks to move out of our flat when the owners decided to move back in. It was horrific at the time, but we ended up moving to a different area that we totally fell in love with, and we've stayed here ever since!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!