Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shriek heard round the world

Did you hear it? It was me. Around 11:45pm (or 23:45 here in Blighty) a blood curdling scream pierced the quiet Friday night.  I was minding my own business, working away on my laptop in my 'office' when a sorta large black spider crawled over the top of the computer and down onto the screen.

I'm proud of myself for not throwing the computer against the wall. But I did smash the spider to bits with the phone. I am still cringing thinking about it. I haven't told my husband that I murdered a spider last night - and I feel no regret as it was all over within seconds.

I don't like things that crawl or scurry in the night (or day for that matter). I grew up in a country that had flying cockroaches - three inches long (7 1\2 cm), centipedes, scorpions and tarantulas: allof which I had run ins with at one point or another. Yet, it's been years since I've had to deal with anything that gives me the willies. Actually, we had two mice who moved into our Brooklyn pad last year but that was short lived (in was the whole neighborhood not just us).

Now I find myself inspecting the corners and the walls for eight-legged interlopers. I'm jumping when I brush up against anything. I hate it. I feel like a character in an Alred Hitchcock movie.

Little things that crawl over my computer and scare me have got to go. This is not Britain's fault, I think it's the weather and change of season. However, I am on a hunt to humanely remove all things that could potentially crawl into my children's beds and lay eggs in their ears. Any suggestions? Killing everything with my slippers or phone is not an option but a last resort.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, so that's what that was! you'll be hearing my midnight scream soon, I expect--no sign of them yet, but I know they're just hiding...and waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realise that it is a criminal offence to brutally butcher an innocent defenceless spider to death with the end of a phone in Britain.....only joking but you better watch out for his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think his friends have been warned. Back in the day didn't you guys hang the heads of criminals on a stake off London Bridge as a warning? I was considering keeping up that tradition with bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that's true, you need to go to the store and buy some cocktail sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um... I've never heard of anything laying eggs in children's ears.

    At least it can't be a brown recluse. I was pretty relaxed about spiders, and then I moved to the Mid West!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the one reassuring thing for me is that spiders in the UK are poisonless. But they're still startling!

    An award for you over at mine...come and see! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE spiders, they terrify me!! Greatly not looking forward to having my own place and having to deal with them on my own- my boyfriend is also scared of them! :S

    ReplyDelete
  8. The close-up photo, I mean. It was easily 3 inches from end to end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first part of my comment didn't post. We saw the exact same spider you pictured - does anyone know what kind it is? It was very black, and very large.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!