Monday, May 3, 2010

Breaking the law

We're breaking the law here... didn't mean to but we're definitely bound for the big house, the pokey, the slammer, the clink. We're going to be sent up the river...well, you get the idea. All of this came to light when we received a STERNLY worded note informing us that they knew we were watching television without a license. God forgive us - we didn't know. Well, if that makes us pistol packin' outlaws so be it.


I've been astounded by the way we've been nickel and dimed to death (or is that pence and pennied? Same thing I know...) but this really takes the cake. A license to watch television. Why a license? Should it just be an annual fee - like everything else? And is there a test we'll have to take for this license - because if it includes knowing the cast of East Enders we're done for.

It was explained to us - what exactly this ridiculous license is for and seeing how we rarely watch the BBC - we shouldn't have to pay it. No offense to the programmers in charge of the BBC - but you stink! I wouldn't pay to watch it so it's a good bloody thing it's the law! We're paying it - don't get me wrong - we certainly do not want the Gestapo storming the door as threatened. I'm just saying... a LICENSE to watch television. This one really put me over the edge. Where does it end?

9 comments:

  1. End..? It's barely begun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait till we tell you the OTHER stuff!!!! ....have you eaten blood pudding yet? ...ha,ha,ha - we've only just begun to torture you, you poor wee souls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, as Mike said it's barely begun... we like our ridiculous bureaucracy over here, and if we can make people pay through the nose we will... Welcome to England!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy! She said like a good New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Us Brits have had to put up with this extortion for 50-60 years. It is only for the BBC and yes, the BBC is crap.
    Welcome to England.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally read random blogs and moan under my breath. But, the BBC is one of the best things about living in the UK!

    Seriously. You're paying like 20p a day (can't be bothered to get the calculator out) for BBC radio, tv, and webpages. The BBC is crap? Are you kidding me? Award-winning television, half of which gets exported to the USA? Advert-free tv and radio-isn't that worth something? I'd have paid my entire license fee for the Life series, let alone The Office, Life on Mars.......don't get me started!

    It's bizarre the first time you do it, then you get used to it. And trust me, start watching the BBC-it's worth it! Rather watch Sky? ITV??!! Five??!!!

    By the way-I don't work for the Beeb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have admitted, freely, that I am addicted to Country House Rescue. The BBC isn't all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had to pay TV license in New Zealand, so that didn't faze me when I moved here - but a million other things did!!! Council tax is a bummer & extortionate power and gas bills that make your eyes water. Talking about water - that bill is bloody expensive too!!! And don't get me started on the death tax...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried watching BBC 4. BBC Radio,inc. 2, 4, 6 and Radio London is also included in the license fee. Those alone make the fee worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!