Monday, April 12, 2010

Digging ourselves out...


The sea shipment landed...hard...on Friday. It was a nightmare. The boxes and stuff just kept flowing in like a swollen river raging out of control. About 1/3 of the stuff went right into storage. I think we're going to pack up a bunch of things into a container and ship them back to the US to put in storage there for a few years.

Right now our house is a maze of boxes, toys, picture frames, artwork and just STUFF - everywhere. We have paths through the flat to make our way from one room to another. It's madness and makes my blood pressure shoot through the roof every time I squeeze through the door.

A few things are abundantly clear:

Cate is spoiled rotten - she has way too many toys.
I have too many clothes
I have too many shoes
I have too many wine glasses and not enough wine
We do not have enough room to breathe here
America has ruined us for living anywhere else - and we came from space-challenged New York!

I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff right off the bat. I always knew we were going get rid of a lot of things while we were here and start to streamline our living. I sincerely hope so because we just have everything in excess. It's madness
.
It's going to take weeks to sort all of this out, hang the art, find a place for everything and figure out what we're going to do with the stuff in storage.

Anyone want a glider with ottoman - yours for the taking - come and get it! Otherwise it's going in the rubbish heap!

Things are getting better though. I have to apologize to poor Kristina - we had a lovely lunch two weeks ago and she confessed that she had to stop reading my blog as I was stressing her out! She remembered how hard it was to move here and was reliving her own hell through me! So I'm going to keep the complaining to a minimum because I do not want to cause anyone stress! Yes, the move is hard, but as my mom always says - this too shall pass.

7 comments:

  1. One box at a time...you'll get there...wine helps ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! I thought you had to be exaggerating but wow! There is some serious fort potential there.

    I'm a little bit stunned at how much stuff you have and I have the giggles so badly!! GOOD LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord - you do have a lot don't you? I also get completely stressed when faced with that many boxes. One of your UK-based readers can tell you but there's a web site where people advertise stuff they just want to get rid of. Much better than throwing it away. (I hate waste!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! This is what I'm dreading about moving to England. All of my stuff! What do I pack? What do I leave behind? How much does it cost to ship my belongings? What if they get lost and never show up? *sigh* So I, for one, are glad that you're blogging about it. I need all the advice I can get! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't you build a garden shed out of all the excess boxes and move your surplus stuff in there ;) Wow, that is a load! My advice: the first thing you need to do is get that wine:wine glass ratio fixed, then the rest will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We recently moved to Seattle and I thought our move was drastic and stressful. I think you are allowed to be stressed. I didn't move out of the country and it was one of the most stressful, yet exciting adventures we have encountered. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We atill have stuff in storage,and move around boxes here!!not good!its meballet again!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!