Thursday, February 4, 2010

Countdown is on

So the move is on. We leave in 8 days. On Monday the first round of movers came and took the dining room set to Florida - my brother is taking it. Tomorrow the air freight is being picked up. I've been packing, sorting, shredding and tossing things forever - or what feels like forever.

Everything is piling up. The kids both had shots on Tuesday (vaccines and flu shots) so both have been a little cranky. Cate is getting her back molars and is drooling and chewing on everything as well as waking up  in the middle of the night. X wants to be held day and night which is taxing. I let him scream it out from time to time but I can't stand to hear him cry. Poor little duck - his cry face is the most heart breaking thing! But all things considered - both kids are great. X is 13 1/2 pounds already - at 9 weeks! He's a little porker. Has the greatest fat cheeks for kissing. And Cate is still good with him.

We've had to jump through hoops for our UK visas - had to get fingerprinted, etc. I guess I'll never get away with a crime now! Not that I'm planning one but my fingerprints are now on file. Apparently, I do not make good prints and it took forever - so maybe I can get away with a crime with my unprintable fingers! Hmmm - food for thought. ;-)

We met with our accountant this week as well - getting our US taxes squared away and setting ourselves up for the next few years in the UK. So complicated - I really don't get taxes and how they operate - ergo the accountant. But we're good for now. Just hoping for a huge refund (doubtful but I like to think I'm wrong).

I'm just shocked at the amount of 'stuff' we have. Not the big ticket items - it's the papers, and junk that sits in drawers and hidden in nooks and crannies around the place. I'm finding things I thought long lost - like my marriage license and an old earring whose mate I long discarded. I've always prided myself as a tosser -  not a hoarder but lo - I am a hoarder. Hi - my name is Erin and I am a hoarder. heavy sigh.

So I've only got a few minutes before I have to dive back into the mound of junk lurking 'round the corner. They come to take my computer away tomorrow so I'm forced to use Fen's laptop for a week. Oh, the fights we'll have...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Moving house is tough enough but adding in an ocean and international boundaries and you must be one heck of an organised person to keep the momentum going here--even with all the little things you mentioned you 'lost' and found again!!

    One thing made me smile--and you'll think this is funny too, was when you wrote 'Ive always prided myself as a tosser'. Here's your first introduction to language differences between the UK and USA: in the UK a 'tosser' is a jerk, or more precisely ummm... *trying to think of a polite way of saying this* you know the phrase in the States 'he's a real jerk off'? Its kind of old fashioned now, but thats where the word 'jerk' came from. Well you know what 'to jerk off' means? Ok, thats what 'to toss off means', therefore a tosser is... well, you probably get it by now, right? ;)

    Anyway, hurrah! You must be really really excited!! Where in London will you be living? Its dull and horrible here right now but it will soon start to cheer up, especially with the arrival of the daffodils late Feb. London parks are covered in them, its very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and, yeah, the "tosser" thing...um, not so good over here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. I am NOT going to blend well am I. Hopefully I'll keep the faux pas to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!