Friday, January 22, 2010

You've got to be kidding!

I've finally come to grips with the move - even though it's been extremely hectic lately (with the baby, my sister's illness, the upcoming christening, the daunting task of sorting and packing, the baby's colic, going back to work, my terrible birthday, and the rotten head cold  from which I'm currently suffering). I accepted my fate and I've been toiling away diligently to get it all done.

Then last night Fen calls - his boss wants him (read us) to stay in NY for another month!! After we fought to move in March to no avail and then two weeks before the move they tell us to stay put for another month. You've got to be kidding! I was completely annoyed but somewhat relieved with the extra four weeks. That lasted less than 24 hours.

Our apartment is already rented so we have to move out. Therefore if we stay in NY we're homeless. I kept joking that we'd end up in a tent on the outskirts of London but here we may be in a tent under the Brooklyn bridge instead! There is no way!

We're trying to sort it out now - will they put us up here for four weeks before we move? It's so crazy and truly insensitive of them to assume we can just change our plans at the snap of their fingers. I'm not keen on living out of a suitcase for nearly 2 months - I can tell you that. There is no way I can settle Cate and X into any type of routine if we move three times within an 8 week period. It's not fair to the children at all.

Am I being too rigid? I don't think so but I have been known to set my jaw firmly when it comes to things like this.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are being too rigid at all. They can not say things like that and just expect that you will/can rearrange everything to their whim. It is not on. If they were to provide a proper place, not hotel rooms with people coming and going with doors banging and you are just sitting around with the kids feeling cramped and miserable, but a proper house or apartment then it might be do-able but otherwise i'd say no.

    that's my 2p worth anyway. hope you get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Heather - we sorted it out and are leaving in two weeks! Gulp.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!