Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pavlova






My husband, the Kiwi, loves pavlova. When we were in New Zealand last year I picked up several packages of caster sugar so I could make pavlovas for him. Then my mother-in-law sent more over the holidays. I'm up to my eyeballs with caster sugar. I don't want to lug it to London so I've been making pavlovas - about 2-3 a week for Fen. He loves it.

They are absolutely fantastic - the above doesn't look like much but trust me - it turned out beautifully. Pavlova is a like a giant meringue - hard and crunchy on the outside but lovely and marshmallow like on the inside. I add food colouring to it just because that's how my husband always had it as a child. This one looks green but it's actually blue.

Tonight, we'll have it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream - ridiculously wonderful.

Here's the recipe (from my mother-in-law):

3 egg whites
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
pinch salt
1 tbsp water
1 tsp food colouring (optional)

Place egg hites in bowl and whip until stiff with a pinch of salt and water. Slowly add sugar, vanilla, vinegar and cornflour (and colouring if you choose it). Whip still stiff.

Place in tray/tinfoil and cook at 300 degree F for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave to cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

1 comment:

  1. You brought back caster sugar from New Zealand to New York? Why? Caster sugar is just finely granulated sugar. You only need to whizz it up in your blender. Obviously you can buy it in London now but you can still make it from the granulated sugar. I think caster sugar costs more to buy anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!