Saturday, January 2, 2010

Colic is the worst

So my new year is not starting off so well... X has colic and I haven't slept in days. My whole body aches, my joints are creaking, and my head buzzes with that hungover feel of no sleep. Poor little duck cries hysterically unless he is nursing or sleeping on me. Last night was particularly bad. Just when X finally went to sleep, Cate started to cry in her room. At one point I was in bed with both children, who were asleep, and Fen was on the sofa snoring while I laid there exhausted but unable to sleep because my mind was racing with all the things I need to do but  have no time or energy to complete.

Our pediatrician said that colic will last about another month. Terrific - just in time for us to move. I have a feeling I'm going to be half dead by the time we reach London. I'm scrambling to get childminders and/or daycare/preschool in order before we even land but it's rather difficult when you don't know where you're going to live permanently.

I"m determined to stick to my mantra for 2010 which is: Joy. I'm sure it's out there but right now it's hard to see what with all the fog in my sleep-deprived brain. And to think I'm starting back at my job part time on Monday! What a mistake. Ah well, no rest for the weary.

Fen asked what I wanted for my birthday (which is later this month). I said a night nurse and a hotel room. He laughed. I wasn't joking!

7 comments:

  1. oh i remember the horrible foggy brain from sleeplessness. I feel for you,I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eldest had colic for 8 weeks and it was dreadful. I eventually found that if I lay her on my lap with her head at me knees, then gave her a foot massage - she stopped crying! It was like a miracle, but i didn't discover it until the colic was almost over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time so close to your move to the UK. Be kind to yourself and take it as it comes. It will get better soon I hope.
    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my kids had colic. My daughters was just normal nighttime crying/screaming wanting to nurse all of the time. My son actually had Milk Soy Protein Intolerance and it improved drastically when I cut milk and soy proteins out of my diet. Regardless of what is causing it, it does get better! The 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block worked wonders with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. I really feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just think - in a few months time you'll be settled over here in London, watching This Morning on the telly (our version of GMA) with a cup of tea, and two perfectly behaved, colic-free children. Hold on to that thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the support ladies. He's coming along and we're actually getting a little sleep these days. I got 5 1/2 hours last night (not consecutive) but I feel rejuvenated today! Better start sorting and packing while I have the energy!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!