Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back at work

Reluctantly I started back at work on a part time basis on Monday and I have to say - it feels really great to be back out in the world. I can't believe the energy it gives me to be back negotiating and talking adult talk to my colleagues. My job allows me to work from anywhere so I'm working from home, and will work from home in London as well. At first I was apprehensive about keeping my job in London but now I'm glad I made the decision to do this. I don't know that many people in London so it will be nice to have something to keep me busy when I'm not with the kids.

Although, I've gone a little nutty with the kids: I have day care, nannies, play groups, etc. lined up to check out once we are on the ground in London. anyone ever hear of Busy Bees? Is it any good? This is the one the office is recommending.

So I'm wondering if it's a bad thing that I like to work so much. I really enjoy my job and have been in the book business for 18 years now and I still love it. That can't be a bad thing - right?

5 comments:

  1. You absolutely should do what makes you happy! You like work because you're a sociable person, who enjoys stimulating conversation. Lovable as little ones are, they can't give you that - yet, at any rate.
    Post your question on British Mummy Bloggers and I'm sure you'll get some feedback about Busy Bees. I have heard of them but that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of Busy Bees as well but have no experience. There is gymboree in the UK and that was great for us - also try mumsnet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Toni and Andrea! I'm looking into Gymboree and I joined British Mummy Bloggers - thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nurseries are all pretty localized. You'll want to check out what's around you when you get here. Babies are a great icebreaker. You'll find when you get here that your local GP (doctor) can point you in the direction of where to find local groups for new mums. Your baby might even be seeing a local health visitor once you register with the doctor and she will know if there are other new mums living near by and any baby/mum groups you might want to join. You can maybe check with our local community centre or local school to find out of there's a toddler group. Anyway, that's probably too much info. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also been angsting about work recently! You should definitely do what makes you happy - happy mums make happy babies in my opinion.

    Not sure where you're moving to in London - I'm in Islington in north London and can highly recommend Gymboree classes!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!