Friday, November 13, 2009

What I'll miss about New York


As time here in New York starts to dwindle, I'm becoming nostalgic. I've lived here over 18 years and now it's time to move on. At first I was thrilled but now I'm a tad nervous and wondering if I can even survive outside of NY. I've been spoiled, or so I think. In New York you can have anything you want at any hour of the night without leaving your house. Everything is delivered, everything is rented or for sale. Taxi's zip by your home night and day and the subways are always running (as well as buses). It truly is the city that never sleeps. Here are a few of the things I'm going to miss most of all:

The Brooklyn Bridge. I live just over the bridge in Brooklyn and one of my favorite things to do is walk over the bridge in the mornings into Manhattan. I've lived out here for seven years and the bridge is just a nice transition from home calm mode to work-'on' mode. It takes about 40 minutes to walk over it and by the time I reach the other side I'm ready for my day. It works in reverse as well coming home. Granted I have not walked over the bridge in months as it's way too much for me and chances are I won't have a chance to walk over it again before we leave but I'm going to try. The view of the city is amazing, the architecture of the bridge itself is a wonder, and the feeling I get from it always puts me in a good mood.

The Met: The Metropolitan Museum of Art. This is one of my favorite museums in NY. That and the Frick Collection. Right now they have Vermeer's Milkmaid which I hope to see before we go. I"m a big fan of Vermeer and I loved, loved, loved Tracy Chevalier's The Girl With the Pearl Earring (book and movie) which makes me want to see an original even more. On Friday and Saturday afternoons they host chamber music and cocktail in the main entrance on the upper balcony. I love that. They host parties on the roof which I especially love. I used to live just a few blocks from the Met and would pop in after work on some days. I haven't been there in a while as I'm too busy with Cate and being pregnant makes it too far to venture these days. But, I hope to get there soon.

Union Square Market: There are several markets around Manhattan and Brooklyn that I love but Union Square is the largest. I could peruse the stalls for hours. But I think Portobello Road has the best one in the world so I'm going to be happy with that!

Il Bagatto: Without a doubt my favorite restaurant in NY. The food is wonderful and the atmosphere is perfect. I've spent many, many nights here over the past 10 or so years with great friends and sometime just with Fen. Some of my fondest NY memories are here.

Rockefeller Center at Christmas: It just isn't Christmas  until I see the tree at Rockefeller Center and walk through the Channel Gardens with the angels to see the skaters on the rink. A pass through The Met Store and a treat (champagne truffles are my fav) from Teuscher Chocolates is a must. I love doing this every year. It's sad to think it will be the last for a long time.

Sur La Table: I love this place and the online store is nice as well. Even though it's all over the US, I particularly like the one in the Village. I could cruise through the story and leave broke. Their cooking classes are wonderful - I've only taken two here but I wish I could have done a few more. Perhaps I'll find a spot in London. We'll see. When we come back to visit this will be high on the list to return.


This list could go on and on, but I'll save a few for later.







3 comments:

  1. My wife and I went to NYC last year in December and did all of those things, except Il Bagatto. New York is a wonderful city, but London is very nice, too. I think you'll find acceptable substitutes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you are already well adjusted to and love city life will be a big plus. Although I was only there once for 2 weeks to visit a friend that has moved there, I am sure you'll find lots of things similarly amazing about London....I just wish I could be doing the same....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo, just been on the sur la table site, it DOES look fab! Such a big thing to move countries, but the worst part is just before you go; so much trepidation and sadness. Once you're on the plane, it all starts to get easier (ahem, kind of...!) goooood luck.
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!