Sunday, November 15, 2009

Farewell F-word, I knew ye well....


The other day I said, "What an ass!" in response to something on the news. My 2 1/2-year-old daughter repeated in her sweet little innocent voice: ass. As adorable as she sounded, I was dismayed. My potty mouth had finally caught up with me in the form of my yet-to-be-potty-trained child.
My daughter, Cate, is becoming quite the parrot these days. She picks up the oddest words and repeats them. Now we’ll have to watch what we say.
Mind you, I am not a world class four-letter word abuser, but every now and then the f-bomb has come in handy. But how do you stop it? Sometimes saying thinks like "What an ass" just roll off the tongue without thought. My language is peppered with mild curses that don’t offend, but I certainly do not want my child repeating (in private or public).
After decades of not thinking about it, my husband and I are painfully aware of our language now that we have a tiny echo running around the place and another one coming soon. With the world becoming more accepting of cuss words on prime time and birds flying on the Golden Globes (okay that was an accident) how do I let Cate know that bad words are unacceptable if they are everywhere, including coming out of my mouth?
Furthermore, what’s a really bad word compared to a not-so-bad word? I’d list them but I’ve made a resolution (not a New Year’s  but a new life’s) to stop doing it as flippantly as I have. Regardless, we’re giving up the curse words.
Let me tell you, it’s damn hard!

4 comments:

  1. It is hard. A handy tip of you do it accidentily. Have another word, similar in sound ready and when/if they repeat you say 'no dear, not ass, asp' or something like. I have sucessfuly been confusing my 3 year old with things like this for a while now. Of course, it wont work forever but in the mean time I am working on giving them up. At least out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes a lot easier when they go to school and repeat it to their friends and teachers. That really makes you curb the language!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the first poster - definitely have another similar word ready. It worked for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I have a 2 and half yr old too and he's definitely picking up words here there and everywhere! I can't even make a muttering to myself without him repeating it! Thanks for comments over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!